What do you do when the tiredness sets in?

For those of you who know me, I am a tired person.  I can wake up after a great nights sleep and still feel tired by 9am.  Most of the time there is no reason for it (and I have been to the doctors to check!) and it can be really hard to keep plodding on through the day.  Today is a prime example, as I was up with Sam at 6am and by 11am I had had enough.  I was being snappy with him and ended up putting on a film on the TV as my head couldn't cope with thinking of anything else to entertain him with.  

So it started me thinking, what can I do when this overwhelming tiredness sets in?  

The bible is pretty clear on the subject - find your rest and peace in God.  The verses of Matthew 11:28-30 come flooding into my mind:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

and of Isaiah 40:31 

"but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint"

And I then remembered that my time alone with God had been minimal the last couple of weeks.  I hadn't taken much time out to pray, read the bible or digest things (a major reason as to why it has taken so long for my next blog post!).  When you soul is at rest, then it also enables other parts of your life to rest and recover.

There may be ways to physically overcome tiredness (and if anyone has any tips on how to do this as a mother then I would really appreciate it!) such as having an hour to sit with your feet up, getting enough sleep, etc.  But actually, the most important thing to do is to make sure that your soul is rested and ready for the spiritual battles that we face everyday.  When we overlook this spiritual aspect of our lives then we can get all the physical rest we need and still feel exhausted.

So please excuse me as I now go off to have some time alone with my God to rest my tired soul!