Two years ago I made a slightly crazy New Year's Resolution.  Everyone else was resolving to run more, eat less and reform their habits.  I resolved to start a Pudding Club.  I guess you could call is resolving to invite more people into my home and enjoy more time with others, but I also just wanted an excuse to eat pudding!!

Over the last two years we have had some amazing evenings! And it has given me a chance to get to know my new neighbours, to see old friends and to make some new friends too. Best of all we have had some truly scrumptious puddings!  (Creme Brulee tops the charts, along with lemon meringue pie and ginger syprup pudding!).  But I have been feeling less passionately about it lately and have made the difficult decision to stop holding them for the foreseeable future. 

Why?  In the last few months I have seen pudding become more and more of a barrier to people in our society.  I have heard people say they can't come because of a diet, or they have health concerns.  And I don't want to put on something that is a barrier to connection or where people feel uneasy about coming.  I want people to feel welcome to come into our home and enjoy themselves whilst they are here.  So at the moment, that means re-thinking our hospitality plan and ideas to see where people would feel more at ease. What that will look like I don't know, and there will still be pudding in my future I am sure!!  

Sorry to all those amazing people who have come along, and I hope you might enjoy whatever comes next (maybe cheese fondue nights or food roulette, who knows!)


"At the same time, don’t be callous in your exercise of freedom, thoughtlessly stepping on the toes of those who aren’t as free as you are. I try my best to be considerate of everyone’s feelings in all these matters; I hope you will be, too."  1 Corinthians 10:32-33 (The Message)

Labels: , , ,