"The world of the generous gets larger and larger.  The world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller" Proverbs 11:24-26 (MSG)

Sometimes in the craziness of life, the simpleness of God's calling to us gets lost.  There are two passages where this is made black and white, and where we can find clarity that pushes through all the other great stuff in the bible:

-Love God, love others (Mark 12:30-31)

-Go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19)

Now when thinking and meditating on this week's verse I had lots of thoughts and ideas of how I could put this in to practice. Should I set up more groups, should I do more in my local community, should I serve more at church?  Generosity is a big part of me, but sometimes everyday life gets in the way.

I really felt God say to me that I don't need to do more STUFF to be generous, but I just need to carry that generous spirit into every encounter in my everyday life.  That through what I am ALREADY DOING I should be more generous and more loving and more caring.  Sometimes we try to add more to our to do lists, when we just need to clarify our motivations and amend HOW we are doing stuff.

I want to warn you though - by being generous and opening up your house, heart, time etc to others you will get more stretched.  How can your world get larger without it being stretched?  It is difficult to invite others to things, it is difficult to be the one putting themselves out there (believe me this week I have felt the brunt of that!) but the reward is a full life with many blessings in it.  If you want to keep everything to yourself and lock yourself away from others, that is fine too, but remember that your world will only get smaller.  People bring problems, but they also bring great joy and great blessings.  I for one would rather live a generous life and deal with the problems that brings than lock myself away.  How about you?

This post reminded me of one I had written previously - so many good things but only one GREAT thing.  Do check it out if you have the time. 

NEXT WEEK:
Hey isn't it great to have made it through almost 3 months of mummy meditations!  When I started I didn't know how it would go, but I know that reading the bible in this way and spending more time on each verse is really helping me go deeper into things.  So next week please join me as we carry on and look at the following verse back in Psalms:

"He says "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."" Psalm 46:10

Labels: , , ,